Folk costume of Pag is characterized by a special beauty and it is known all over Europe. Woman’s traditional costume stands out by specific shirt, and the most distinctive part is a headgear called Pokrivaca. Integral parts of the costume are jewelry: specially made earrings called ročini, necklace strung from needles for blankets called peružini and bacenke.
Parts of the female costumes: Pokrivaca, paški teg and Pag lace can be found in the list of protected cultural monuments of Croatia and wear label Izvorno Hrvatsko (Originally Croatian).
paški tanac (pag folk dance)
Paški tanac is performed accompanied by music instrument called mišnice and displays the meeting of girls and boys dressed in traditional costume, who dancing, clapping hands and turns, attract attention, so they would eventually dance together.
Nowadays, tanac is performed only by members of Cultural and Performing Society Družina during the carnival season and the summer months. It is part of cultural events Đir, when is performed with Cultural and Performing Society, and Etno Đir when is performed throughout the town. There is also Veli Tanac which is simultaneously performed by all generations with about 40 dancing couples.
Pag Carnival is traditionally maintained over 80 years in the town of Pag, while the ”summer carnival” counts more than 50 years.
Winter Carnival is intended for local residents. Begins on the first Saturday after the feast of Epiphany and ends on Ash Wednesday. During this period, every Saturday is organized dancing Tanac.
During last three days, the carnival events are moving to the central square, after the official handover of the keys of the city. On the day of Ash Wednesday, testament is read and local people burn Marko who is to blame for all their problems.
Summer Carnival is held the last weekend in July with the aim of enriching the cultural and entertainment offer in the tourist season.
Pag lace is a unique handicraft made by valuable and skilled hands of woman from Pag. It is believed that the Pag lace takes its origin from the city of Mycenae. In the town of Pag making lace began in the late 15th century for the church liturgical vestments. Making lace was initiated by the Benedictine convent that had a school of lace. Lace collection that Benedictine nuns kept and collected more than 150 years, the Ministry of Culture declared the Croatian cultural heritage. History remembers the time when women from Pag went to the court of Maria Theresa to make lace for her.
Eventually, lace has become an independent decorative item, decoration for furniture, framed on the walls, carved or sewn into clothing, decoration sheets, pillows, curtains, tablecloths and as decoration on church vestments.
Uniqueness of Pag lace is that there are no templates or blueprints for making lace, the way of making and sampling has been carried forward from generation to generation by word of mouth and practical work.
Word of its beauty and perfection was wide-spread, its production and expansion in world trade boosts after the founding of Lace School in Pag. The school was founded in 1906 and has continuously worked until 1945.
In order to prevent the extinction of Pag lace making, in 1994 at the high school “Bartul Kašić” was organized training for the profession of Pag lace maker.
With school, an important role in the preservation of Pag lace has The Pag Lace Association “Frane Budak.”
Nowadays, the Pag lace makers can be seen on the streets making the most beautiful needlework created by woman’s hands.
In the city center on the Square Petar Krešimir IV is placed Pag lace Gallery.
church of st. george
Church of St. George was built in the 15th century, in the north of the city, and was part of the defensive wall of the city, which was built according to the design or with the cooperation of Juraj Dalmatinac (George the Dalmatian). Saint George is the patron saint of the city and that is why this church has a special meaning.
In the space of restored Church, masses are held periodically and space is used as an exhibition area.
Since ancient times, the Benedictine nuns who dedicated their lives to the faith had a special and important role in Pag, especially in the education of girls. They taught lace making, the monastery has a free public school with teacher nuns, and there were the first nursery. They shared hardest moments with the population and Pag, humbly praying and working together. During the Second World War II, the monastery was organizing nutrition for children and the poor. In time of homeland war they become associated with Caritas of Italy and France, and friends of the monastery in the world.
Nuns called koldurice in Pag are guardians of relics of the Holy Thorn that was donated to them in 1435 by Franciscan Ivan Tutnić Pažanin. Holy Thorn was brought from the Holy Land and kept in a chest with four keys. Along with a thorn, in the Benedictine treasury in Pag, are kept the miraculous statue of Madonna of the Old Town and the miraculous crucifix from the church of St. Anthony Abbot in the Old Town as most important sanctity of Pag.
This order has very strict conviction and nuns come out of their space only in exceptional cases.
Benedictine nuns in 2008 have received the annual award of the Zadar County for development of the spiritual culture of the town of Pag.